Monday, April 16, 2007

Bleh. Meh. Puke. I suck. Etc, etc.

I should not play HU tables when I'm tired and 8 tabling. Booked a small loser($1200ish) today because I lost 6-7 buyins playing HU to someone who I've already lost 4 to previously. Yeah, I'm getting killed and the worst part is that it's mostly my fault.

At first glance I thought villian was nitty donk. Over a few hundred hands my opinion changed to reasonable but beatable. So today I booted up a HU on pcom alongside 5 cash and 2 tournaments - bad idea.

Bled chips left and right and basically just got abused hard. I ran ridiculously cold, rarely making a pair, forget anything that beats one. Didn't help that villain ran like fire. Set? Set when I have TP? Another set? Turn a set when I make TP + Fdraw? Flopped straight to my OP? More please? Can I win a coin flip? (Just kidding, you know I can't win a coin flip.)

Okay. Forget the whining and coolers. I was going to lose regardless, that's just how the cards came...but I should have lost a lot less. I've been sort of deviating from my standard HU game and trying some trappy with moderates - it's been working well on FTP (maybe I'm just hitting more) against more sophisticated opponents but has put me into a blood bath on pcom.

...

[I almost wrote a whole bunch of strategy (don't worry it would have been bad strategy since I'm down like 10K playing hU) and my thought process involving some situations based on analysis, but then I realized that this blog is getting somewhat popular and I don't know who's reading it so I'm going to be vague instead.]

I imported 20k or so Pcom hands into PT just to analyse whether or not I had an edge in aforementioned HU games. I do, but I haven't been exploiting it. I'm down about 10k total to 3 different opponents. One clearly has game and I don't think I could have played more than 5 hands differently. It wouldn't have made a big difference anyway.

The two others are transparent (and donks - always go with the first read!). I'm giving credit for plays they're incapable of. Both appear to have major (but different) leaks that I haven't been exploiting as much as I'd have liked. And some of the calls that are instant and standard vs a lot of opponents I've played lately are probably folds against their ranges.

All this means that I've been doing a piss poor job of adjusting to weaker opponents. Or that I suck. I'm pretty sure it's just me sucking. Doesn't help that I've been cold either. When you haven't made a pair in 75 hands and you suddenly see top pair no kicker, it starts looking like a straight flush. (Villain obv rivers 2 pair FTW!)

I may also need to implement a stop a loss. I would have been much less disgusted with myself than I currently am if I had lost the same amount over more sessions. It's clear that after some point my game descends into the third level of retardation and I start ignoring the captain obvious tells coming from their computers.

Meh. I should be down only 50% of what I've actually lost.

I think I may purposely start playing HU only (like 4 tables and only when I'm fresh for periods no longer than 3 hours) for the rest of the month. That should improve my ability to adjust to various opponents. Heads up is all about adjusting to your opponent, going with your read, and seeing who can tilt who first. And if I lose another 10k, I think I just won't play it anymore.

No comments: